Sunday 8 January 2012

Week 4





This was a 25 minute still-life drawing. It was my third attempt after drawing two from various other angles. The first two attempts, I similarly created tonal value with some hard lines, but this attempt was very successful. Because I was using charcoal, I was really interested in using smudges to create the shading and lighting in this piece. You can see the shadows created by two different lamps, but their light isn't strong because of the ambient daytime light.  The main light was set up in the right corner making the brightest side of the objects on the left and the darker side on the right. Because I used charcoal, I couldn't use hitching or cross-hatching to create a determent gradient, so you cannot see the lines from multiple directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment